Welcome to Katie's Travel Blog. This is really Jenny-doesn't-get-to-travel blog where I (mom) keep track of Katie's adventures so I can have some vicarious enjoyment! Here's a look at what one globally-aware kid from little Santa Cruz, California gets to do these days if her mom's willing to keep working!

Friday, July 6, 2012

Day 9: Last Day in Venice

The note that came with these said, "Team Building."
"I feel like I am a broken toy," Katie said today (Friday my time) on her call. "They were expecting this really good thing and now they are bored with me and disappointed because I am not what they expected."

Apparently there's supposed to be at least one family member who is fluent in English, but that's not the case with Katie's family. So she's been kind of kicked to the curb while they hook up with friends (when they are taking her out and about) and she's just sitting there missing everything because she can't speak Italian.
This looks more like team rolling to me! In Pisa.


That said, she is learning a few words and did manage to share a translated text I sent to her that said, "I need to buy shorts. Is there a shop?" That made them laugh and they will take her by a market tomorrow. Let's see how that goes!

She was getting ready to hit the shower ("the shower head is at my waist, my hair so isn't clean!") and then the family is taking her to grampa's birthday party. I asked her if she was looking forward to it but she said, "No, because I can't talk to anyone!" Hopefully a English-speaking relative will be in the crowd and take her under their wing. It's already 8pm and they are just leaving for the party where she'll eat dinner. She said the food is good, "but they eat so late, I am hungry all the time." Maybe now she'll appreciate my cooking!

Today they went on a boat ride and the day was saved because Hanah was with her and she had someone to talk to. Thank goodness! I guess Hanah is doing a bit better; her family speaks more English. Katie can't believe she has to get through two more nights and one more day before this portion is over. I just wish we had been better prepared for a home stay (okay, prepared at all would have been good) so she could have enjoyed it more. At least she could have taken an English-Italian dictionary!

Tomorrow - er um - today they will go to the mountains. And buy shorts. Maybe. There might be an adult going that speaks a little bit of English. I hope it goes smoothly.

At least she sounded more upbeat today. That's a relief to me. I was really sweating this - because I am a worry wart and I know what it's like to feel uncomfortable. I am just sorry Katie feels like she's a disappointment to them. That's not a good feeling and I am sure it's not the case. Needless to say, this relationship will be over when it's over; no long term connection there.

Oh! And I did have the right house! I don't know why I think that's so cool, but it is!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
People to People Itinerary: SATURDAY, JULY 7: Home Stay, Italy
  • Today will be the last day you spend with your home stay family. Be sure to let them know how much you appreciate their hospitality! Write a thank you note to leave with them or to mail the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment