Welcome to Katie's Travel Blog. This is really Jenny-doesn't-get-to-travel blog where I (mom) keep track of Katie's adventures so I can have some vicarious enjoyment! Here's a look at what one globally-aware kid from little Santa Cruz, California gets to do these days if her mom's willing to keep working!

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Day 6: Leaning Tower of Pisa

You know what this is!
Today the kids will travel to Pisa and scope out that Leaning Tower. Let's hope there are no Italian earthquakes before they get to see it!

I spoke with Katie briefly today; she sounded tired but she said, "I'm not!" So then I realized she just sounds older. *Sigh* I guess it's inevitable. She said the Sistine Chapel was beyond amazing and she was so mad because she really wanted to see The David statue but it wasn't there. Then she found she got to see it today (their yesterday now). That too was fantastic, she reported.

She's pretty nervous about the upcoming home stay. I have to say, we really didn't realize it was a major feature on this trip and don't really know much about it. I guess of few of the kids have heard from their families already and it's really lowered their anxiety. Katie knows nothing much about it, according to her, and our itinerary has "contact People to People" so of course, I am doing that right now!

Here's what I found out. She'll be staying with a family in Vencezia Dell Ongaro. Huh. When I try to find that on Google Maps, I get nothing. Let's say I am not feeling that reassured at this moment but it's time for a leap of faith. And there's not a whole lot I can do about it. (If anyone knows more, comment or send me an email!?)

I am expecting a call tomorrow and I hope she's feeling good and excited about her temporary family! Now I am starting to miss her. That only took six days.

UPDATE: I got a call on Weds morning from the P2P office with address of the home Katie is staying in. She's in Venice - or a suburb of Venice. I hope to hear from her soon!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
People to People Itinerary: WEDNESDAY, JULY 4: Home Stay, Italy
  • Be inspired by some of the best examples of Romanesque architecture in the Italian city of Pisa. You will see one of Europe's most iconic buildings, the Leaning Tower.
  • Meet your Italian home stay family and be welcomed into your Italian home for the next days!

2 comments:

  1. I don't know anything about my daughters family stay either. I hope she can call or text when she gets there. One of the girls in our group got an email last week and pictures of the family and asked her what wanted to do. Miranda was disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mikaela - I am hoping they call us today! The kids.. I know they will be fine but it would just be nice to know where they are!

    ReplyDelete