Welcome to Katie's Travel Blog. This is really Jenny-doesn't-get-to-travel blog where I (mom) keep track of Katie's adventures so I can have some vicarious enjoyment! Here's a look at what one globally-aware kid from little Santa Cruz, California gets to do these days if her mom's willing to keep working!

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Day 17: Paris! Starting with Versailles, Ending with Montemarte!

The Palace of Versailles.
Bonjour!

Katie says today they do not get to see the Eiffel Tower but I think maybe they may get a peek. Her excitement is near a crescendo as the inch closer to The City of Light.

Today they see the Palace of Versailles. Of course I keep hearing Al Stewart singing his song (does that mean I am old?). Now that I read the lyrics, I understand more about what they mean.

The Hall of Mirrors.
I didn't realize the end of King Louis XIV came with the French Revolution (now I hear Les Miserables in my head) and Napoelon rose to power.

Next the itinerary is vague as it speaks of a guide providing an orientation to the city Hemingway called "a movable feast." I found the quote but I have no idea what the kids will be doing!
Ernest Hemingway's posthumously published memoirs of his life in 1920s Paris, called "A Moveable Feast", did much to bring the term to the general language: "If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast."
After touring, the kids will head to Montmartre where they will see the Basilique du Sacré-Coeur de Montmartre and get to shop around an area that similar to The Village in NYC according to websites. It's where you can find the Moulin Rouge which ends my musical tour of greater Paris as I think of Nicole Kidman in that great musical.

When Katie called, she confirmed they didn't get to see one little ounce of Bastille Day (what a stinking shame). They spent more of their time in transit and they weren't really tired enough to go to bed but it was time to be in their rooms to get started nesting. I told her to throw open the windows and listen (it was 9:17pm) and she might her the pop of fireworks somewhere in town.

She's excited about tomorrow and so anxious to see Paris. It looks like the will have a very busy next-two-days. I can't wait to hear all about it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
People to People Itinerary: SUNDAY, JULY 15: Paris, France
  • Explore the magnificent Chateau de Versailles, a UNESCO World Heritage site, on your own. Built during the reign of Louis XIV, the Sun King, it was the seat of the royal court from 1682 to 1789, when the French Revolution put an end to the monarchy.
  • Voila Paris! A French guide will now join you for an orientation of the city Ernest Hemingway called "a moveable feast."
  • Visit the historic Montmartre area, a haven for artists and writers before WWI. Marvel at the white Basilique du Sacre Coeur, which is the second highest point in Paris. Take some time to discover this area's treasures in small groups.
The Basilique du Sacre Coeur.
And, but of course, The Moulin Rouge!


No comments:

Post a Comment