Welcome to Katie's Travel Blog. This is really Jenny-doesn't-get-to-travel blog where I (mom) keep track of Katie's adventures so I can have some vicarious enjoyment! Here's a look at what one globally-aware kid from little Santa Cruz, California gets to do these days if her mom's willing to keep working!

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

P2P Day 13: The Lakes of Killarney and the Gap of Dunloe (It Sounds So Musical)

I'm driving to my client's office when the phone rings.

It's a FaceTime call. Katie is in a candy shop in Ireland dying to show me all the cool candies. Only I'm on one of the busiest freeways of the commute. Needless to say, I didn't get to see the candy. I told her to take pictures.

I talked to her a little later in the day (sometime during the US Soccer game, I could hear the cheering in the cafeteria) and she was in the tub drinking something that looked eerily like wine - but I think I was projecting. She said they really enjoyed the hike in the Gap of Dunloe and it was about seven miles. I'm not sure if that's round trip or not but she said it wasn't that bad because they took a boat ride back so it went fast.

Larry, one of the leaders, had photos posted by the time I woke up this morning (which was about 3pm their time) and it looks like an incredible place. I have links and photos below. Tonight they are in Dublin and then tomorrow then head by ferry to Wales.

From the People to People Itinerary
Today you will experience the natural beauty of Ireland as you travel the Gap of Dunloe in a horse-drawn jaunty cart. The Gap of Dunloe is a narrow mountain pass carved by glaciers millions of years ago.

At Lord Brandon's Cottage, which was formerly a hunting lodge, you will stop for lunch and to admire the views at the bottom of the gorge, before embarking on a breath-taking cruise across one of the tranquil lakes.

During your time at the Gap you will travel across the Lakes of Killarney by boat which during this hour long trip you will enjoy the stunning views of the surrounding mountains. This will be a day to remember.

Following this wonderful day experiencing Ireland, you will welcome a small journey to Dublin.

  





No comments:

Post a Comment