Welcome to Katie's Travel Blog. This is really Jenny-doesn't-get-to-travel blog where I (mom) keep track of Katie's adventures so I can have some vicarious enjoyment! Here's a look at what one globally-aware kid from little Santa Cruz, California gets to do these days if her mom's willing to keep working!

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Day 14: California Kids Go Snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef

There's not much to say about today's events other than OHMIGOD!

They will be snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef.

This means I was up at 4am with my typical anxiety because she's going to be in the water (this is a lifelong condition I've had and while my kid is an excellent swimmer, I still choose to be a complete mental patient and worry about these things). Mind you they won't be in the water until about 4pm our time, but why should I waste my time sleeping when I could be up worrying about something I have absolutely no control over!?

To combat my frailty, I've decided to imagine snorkeling with her later today. I will get my work done as fast as I can and then maybe stream a video on Netflix like The Reef, oh wait, not that one, maybe Grainger's World - oh good lord, NOT that one - okay, okay, I guess there aren't a lot of streaming movies to watch. I guess this will do.

So we can all imagine snorkeling later today, I've found a few photos to share. Hopefully this will get all of us off to a great start today.

Note: the water temperature for their dive was 72 degrees. Not too shabby.

PS: we should be grateful our kids are getting to see the reef: one of the seven wonders of the natural world. There are several threats to the health of the reef and speculation it could be in danger of surviving.

From the People to People Itinerary:
  • Take the plunge and snorkel the Great Barrier Reef, coming into contact with brightly colored tropical fish, giant clams, and an amazing array of soft and hard coral of every imaginable color.
  • Got questions about the reef or its inhabitants? Ask away! You’ll get answers from the marine biologist that exclusively joins your delegation for this experience. 









No comments:

Post a Comment